Helping Hand And Loving Hearts
Helping Hand, a non-profit NGO, was started in 1983 by Alice Saldanha (she is on the right in the photo on the right) in her garage with a handful of volunteers to help people in distress on the lines of the Good Samaritan concept of the West. It was taken over by Dr Ali Khwaja, Chairman of Banjara Academy, and has grown into a strong dedicated team of more than 250 volunteers, comprising persons from all walks of life - students, home-makers and retired professionals.
Numbers and statistics can never really convey true emotions and the depth of human feelings. Helping Hand is 33 years old. The journey from 1983 to 2016 has been very eventful. We are more than 250 of us who volunteer in 10 hospitals and 4 counselling centres. We have sincerely and unconditionally reached out to lakhs of human beings of all variety and backgrounds.
But finally what is important is that each individual volunteer, young or old, very regular or periodic, new or veteran, who is part of this wonderful family, is willing to give without expecting anything in return. The journey started with one compassionate individual, the team grew to a dozen and stayed thus for a dozen years. In 1995 we started expanding out to hospitals.
In all these years we have stoutly resisted the temptation for empire-building. There is no hierarchy in Helping Hand. People join out of genuine concern for unknown human beings – and continue only because their heart says so. There are no tangible rewards. There is no publicity or public recognition. But there is, in each volunteer, a conscience to give back to society more than receiving from it, to touch a grieving or lonely person with a Helping Hand and a Loving Heart.
That is what Helping Hand has stood for, still stands for, and will continue to stand for, far beyond the lifetime of all of us. We would like the flame to be handed over to younger and younger volunteers, who will ensure that in the rat-race of the competitive world, the human touch is never forgotten. For being this torchbearer, dear Volunteer, I salute you! - Ali
Similar-minded men and women are most welcome to join the Helping Hand group. Those who can spare 3 hours a week for volunteering and are desirous of joining this social service can contact our Helping Hand coordinator, Director Purnima Ganesh on 9341972540:
|Dr. Ali Khwaja
Chairman, Banjara Academy | Helping Hand
418, 1st Main road, 1st Block, R.T. Nagar
Bangalore 560 032
Phone: 23535787, 23535766
Page 1 of 4«StartPrev1234NextEnd»
Jobs Available, Work Opportunities for Counsellors
Free Booklets for Downloading
- Free Download-Booklet: Emotional Honesty
- Free Download-Booklet: Discover the child in you: Practical tips, exercises
- Free Download-Booklet: Understanding and Overcoming Depression: Practical tips, exercises
- Free Download-Booklet: Understanding and Changing Attitude: Practical tips, exercises
- Free Download-Emagazine: Banjara Careers, March 2017 issue, for courses, careers, choices, selections - for students, parents, teachers
- Free Download-Emagazine: Banjara Careers, February 2017 issue, for courses, careers, choices, selections - for students, parents, teachers
- Free Download-Booklet: How you can build confidence in self, others, children: Practical tips, exercises
- Free Download-Emagazine: Banjara Careers, January 2017 issue, for courses, careers, choices, selections - for students, parents, teachers
- Free Download-Booklet: How You Can Become Assertive-Tips and Techniques
- Free Download-Booklet: You too can reach out - a handbook of counselling skills
- Free Download-Booklet: How You Can Nurture, Rebuild Your Relationships - Practical Tips
- Free Download-Emagazine: Banjara Careers, December 2016 issue, for courses, careers, choices, selections - for students, parents, teachers
- Free Downloads-Booklets
- Free Downloads-EMagazines
"Taking Actions to Enhance Self-Esteem" - Video talk by Dr Ali Khwaja advises If we need to enhance our self-esteem we should quit stalling and take actionsRead more...
"Parental Attitude and Self-Esteem" - Video talk by Dr Ali Khwaja says parental attitude plays a significant role in building or destroying a child's self-esteemRead more...
"Pride in Your Work Enhances Self-Esteem" - Video talk by Dr Ali Khwaja says take pride in your work no matter what it isRead more...
Free Audio Files for Downloading
Free Download-Public-Domain-Audio Talk, Podcast: Work-Life Balance for Better Relationships, a Happy Life by Dr Ali Khwaja, Author, Counsellor, Life Coach, TrainerRead more...
Free Download-Public-Domain-Audio File: Women Midlife Crisis by Dr Ali Khwaja, Author, Expert Counsellor, Life Coach, TrainerRead more...
Free Download-Public-Domain-Audio File: Why We Should Help Strangers by Dr Ali Khwaja, Author, Expert Counsellor, Life Coach, TrainerRead more...
Special Banjara Academy Events
Banjara Academy Presents Experiential Counselling Workshop - from 6 to 8 April 2017 at Banjara Academy, RT Nagar, BengaluruRead more...
Banjara Academy's Helping Hand Annual Day Celebrations Held on 10 December 2016 at Banjara Academy's Manthan Retreat, Yelahanka, BengaluruRead more...
'Providing Sex Education at Home' - Workshop for Parents, Teachers, Counsellors on 12 November 2016 at Banjara Academy, R T Nagar, BengaluruRead more...
Except where otherwise noted, the Content of the Website of Banjara Academy - the text, the audios, the videos, the images - contributed by Dr Ali Khwaja and his team of volunteers at Banjara Academy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.